Alexander Hays (A.H.) Sandusky and his wife, Sadie, were married in 1902 and built this home in 1903. Mr. Sandusky was born December 20, 1868, in Johnson County, Nebraska. At an early age, he started working for the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad in Nebraska and Colorado. Work eventually led him to the Newcastle-Gillette area where he then worked for Burlington Railroad and was the mayor of Gillette, Wyoming in 1902. He was a roadmaster for the Sheridan hub of Burlington until he retired in 1938.
Of note during A.H. Sanduskys career was being a part of the opening of a new train depot on November 16, 1912, that still stands in Sheridan today. The Sanduskys raised 3 sons in this home Raymond, Wiley, and Arthur. The boys attended Holy Name Catholic School. Both Arthur and Raymond attended Notre Dame University, while Wiley attended Georgetown University. All of them pursued law degrees.
Several archived newspaper articles indicated that the Sanduskys liked to host and entertain company at this home. They frequently hosted Christmas dinners, visiting family members, and even the local reverend.
Sadie Doyle Sandusky passed away in 1948. Alexander passed away in 1953. There are records of the home being owned by Arthur and Elizabeth Sandusky up until 1957. The home has been used for both residential and business purposes over the years.
In August of 2019, Sarah and Matt Houghton purchased the home and started the process of restoring the historic home into a law office and event space. The vision was to return this old home back to its former glory and share it with the Sheridan community. Everything that could be restored was restored. The beautiful woodwork is original to the home, as are the wood floors and most of the doors and windows. It is these types of original details that drew the Houghtons to the home. South of Main now seems a fitting tribute to a family that valued the study of law and a well hosted event!